Note: Brothers-in-law and other icky boys are not allowed to read this post.
When I was little, I LOVED (and still do) watching Disney movies. I always sat perched on the edge of my seat as birds and other woodland creatures sang alongside a princess, ate out of her hands, and came to the rescue. I was especially enthralled with the robin in Mary Poppins during the song “A Spoonful of Sugar”, because it looked so real, and I thought every time I watched it “I bet I could get a robin to land on my hand”, or “I want to hold a robin”.
I sadly realized as I got older that birds and mice do not beautifully lay out your clothes and help you get dressed (Cinderella). They also do not come running every time you sing (Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, and every other Disney film). And although ducks and geese will sometimes snatch something out of your hand, and seagulls will outright steal from you, birds in general do not just perch on you just because you have food (Beauty and the Beast). These realizations always left my world feeling a little less magical, and me wishing I lived in fantasy-land. (Yes, I was the little girl who used to draw ponies and unicorns on her desk in school…)
Fast-forward a decade or two…
For those of you who missed it on FB, Sunday night we found a young robin in our tree house. The boys were in the swings and the robin fluttered down to Morgan and sat in his lap for a moment…before trying to fly again; which scared the #$%@! out of Morgan.
We grabbed the little robin and our neighbor put him in one of their trees. We saw the mother join up with it there, and went on with life.
Today I had the boys out in the swings again. We were laughing and singing and just having fun. At one point I glanced up in our tree house, and saw the little robin again! We all stopped for a minute to watch him. I slowly lifted my fingers up to him until they were under his little feet. He lifted them up and perched on my fingers just like in all the movies! I was ecstatic! After sitting there a moment I walked him over to the fence. He flew off my fingers and up into the trees, and I felt like a princess…
Your story just made my day. Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteYour story and the fun of picturing that happening to you made my whole evening better. How excellent!
ReplyDelete