Friday, August 20, 2010

The Zoo, Diabetes Camp, & the Tomato Bandit

Part One: the zoo. Last Saturday Rob, Mason and I had the opportunity to go to the zoo with some of Rob’s family. I was so, SO excited because I’ve wanted to see Zuri the baby elephant all summer long (yes I am five)! We went to the most amazing bird show and had eagles, hawks and owls fly within two inches of our heads. I highly recommend seeing it, if that sort of thing interests you. Mason I think loved the monkeys and the elephants the most…or maybe the big round rock that had water running over it. Later that day we went swimming and really had a fun time- thanks Strongs for spending the day with us!

2010 Aug Disneyland, Zoo 306 2010 Aug Disneyland, Zoo 282 2010 Aug Disneyland, Zoo 298 2010 Aug Disneyland, Zoo 299

Part Two: diabetes camp. Ever since I was three years old I have attended or volunteered for a summer camp for children with diabetes. There have been a couple years lately where I have been unable to go, but since I live so close and no longer work I thought I’d take the opportunity to attend again. Having a toddler prevented me from going full time, but I did help all day Monday & Wednesday, and visited Thursday night. I took Mason with me Monday and Thursday, so I will mostly focus on those days. Wednesday I was the lifeguard for “lake day” at Pineview Reservoir (thanks mom and dad for watching Mason!). Mason was a big hit at camp, and camp was a big hit for Mason. There were so many things and people for a young mind like his to see and do and meet!

First of all, there was a giant sandbox with toys and shovels which needed playing with,

camp 004 camp 005 

dirt and rocks which needed to be tasted,

camp 003 camp 006

puddles which needed to be explored,

camp 008 camp 007

moves to bust,

camp 009 camp 010 pandm

and friends to be made!

camp 013  camp 011

Mason and I both had such a WONDERFUL time! All of the campers and staff loved him and all he had to do was go up to one of them and put his arms up and they’d pick him up. Then he’d point at the tree he wanted to go to, or the stick he wanted and they would take him. The last night they do a formal thank you for all the volunteers. Everyone stands around the flag pole while names are read and prizes given out. Just before it started Mason decided to go walking through the middle of the circle and pandemonium broke out! All the campers were calling his name and trying to get him to come to them. I was a little embarrassed because they were trying to get everyone under control so I ran into the middle of the circle and excused ourselves for a little while. Both days when we left Mason started crying and kicking because he wanted to stay. It reminded me soooo much of me and how I would leave camp just crying and crying because I didn’t want to go. Mason and I have MANY more camps to go! And now for a story so gruesome and terrifying you made not want to read further…

Part Three: THE TOMATO BANDIT! This excruciating story begins about the first of August. My husband and I were excited to see the beginning of a wonderful tomato harvest. There were many beautiful, firm, young green tomatoes on the vine, and some were even beginning to turn color. We were anxious for them to ripen because fresh tomato on salads, sandwiches, and tacos are a favorite in our household. Our happiness was not to last, though. Within just a couple of days we noticed tomatoes no longer on their life-giving vines where they should have been, but lying on the ground, dead. Whatever or whomever it was was not discriminating color, creed, or age; all seemed to be random victims of a heinous act. Many even had terrible bite marks in their flesh and were left to rot and bleed on the hot, dry ground.

tomatoes 006 tomatoes 004 We were absolutely horrified! Who could do such a thing?! I knew I had to find out. Beautiful, innocent tomatoes such as these should not have to put up with that kind of suspense and horror. Living always wondering if they would be able to finish their childhood and be used for what they were created for-life-giving food- or to be plucked from the vine still green and then spat back on the ground.

And so I waited…

It didn’t take long; the bandit soon made another appearance…his appetite for tomato flesh could not go unquenched for long. The site of him took my breath away! It was no terrible monster with dripping fangs and bloodshot eyes and warts growing all over the skin, but a beautiful fair-haired, blue-eyed angel. I knew the police would never believe me so I allowed one more tomato to be sacrificed while I took some pictures in order that I may save the rest. And here they are…

So does anyone know how to teach kids who don’t know their colors not to pick the green tomatoes??? And that even though daddy eats tomatoes off the vine, he’s not allowed to because he just ends up throwing them on the ground instead of finishing them???

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda...all I think of whenever I hear you talk about diabetes camp is "Pour some EQUAL on me..." Ha! Good times. Glad you and Mason had fun! And I've been wanting to go to the zoo ever since that baby elephant was born, but sadly we haven't made it up there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee! That is just too cute! I can't wait to see Mason again!! (And all you guys too!)and I wish I was creative like you...I'm gonna have to start making you write my blog so it can be fun like yours!

    ReplyDelete