Now that it’s been a month, I suppose it’s time to write this post. I’ve been putting it off because I have so much I want to say, but I think in the end, I have decided to keep it as basic…and to the point…as possible.
It was hard to see my last child turn one. If you would have asked my younger self what I thought of babies, I probably would have tried to politely smile and say something generic like, “they’re so cute!”. What I really would have been thinking would have been more along the lines of, “They terrify me; they kinda look like aliens, and I have no idea what in the world you’re supposed to do with them”. Ask the today me, and I will tell you, “I LOVE LITTLE BABIES!!! More specifically I love from about 5 months-15 months I think they are the cutest, widdelest, wittle loves that need to be kissed and snuggled and have their wittle belly buttons blown on (raspberried)! So, I cried whenever I thought about him turning one.
Because he is my last baby, I wanted his first birthday to be perfect; with perfect one year old pictures. I even took him out a few times to “practice”. I put the poor guy in so many outfits and took him so many places. Don’t worry, it wasn’t all on the same day ![]()
Anyway- I apologize for the picture overload; you get the idea.
Cam’s birthday fell on the Friday before our week-long, family camping trip we had planned. I spent a lot of time worrying about sleeping in a tent with three boys; making sure we had enough food/water; wondering if I was going to die from heat exhaust with the number of hikes Rob had planned…during the day…in the middle of August…grr. Despite all of this, I made sure to get a smash cake ordered, and find the perfect outfit. Dinner was going to be up Fillmore canyon with beautiful trees and water and rocks, etc with my family and cousins.
Despite best laid plans, however, sometimes things do not end up as one may hope. My cousin’s baby ended up sick, so they didn’t come down to Fillmore. My mom was at work, and I had forgotten to get all the other food (not cake, just the rest), so to make things easier we decided to have dinner/birthday in the back yard. Sometime during the course of the day, Cam developed a fever. By the time the big moment came for smashing this cute cake (Thank you to Ellie Sweeny for the cute cake!) Cam wasn’t much in the mood for it.
I didn’t realize until after the fact this was the case. He didn’t feel hot until after, but it would explain everything. Poor little guy ![]()
He did really love the dancing, light-up robot grandma got for him though!
I think everybody knows the rest of the story. We finished out the weekend in Fillmore (where he continued with his fever) and Monday found us at our doctor’s in Roy and NOT down in Goblin Valley.
Now, some fun facts about Cam. From the day he was born I’ve told him he has to stay my tiny little baby forever. I guess he took it to heart.
- Height- 28 inches; 2nd percentile
- Weight- 18.4oz; 7th percentile – Funny story: I found Mason’s 6 month stats while cleaning out a drawer just a couple days after Cam’s appt. Mason weighed 2 oz MORE at 6 months 3 days, than Cam does at 1 year 10 days!!! That’s how little Cam is.
- He doesn’t walk yet; but has been standing by himself and walking with help since 11 months. At his one year his pediatrician was worried about the placement of his feet (they point out horizontally and dip in at the same time). She had me take him to an orthopedic doctor. He said his hips just turn out a lot, but that they should go to normal as he grows. He also said he has no arch, but that is not too uncommon. I don’t know…I’m still wondering if I agree with all of that.
- He eats, drinks, and moves constantly!!! The doctor had me put him on a high calorie diet to see if we could get him to grow.
- He loves to babble and interact with others and yell! He is definitely the most interactive and active of the three. So if you thought the other two were bad…oh just you wait.
- He has 5 teeth, and is trying to grow his 6th.
- He loves to pull things out of their containers; whether it’s fish out of a bag or dishes out of a cabinet; anything he can get his grubby little hands on.
- He is by far my best sleeper, and by far my least snuggly.
Here are some pics of his messiness…mostly for grandmas since the rest of you have gotten a picture overload. Watch out; some of them are quite scary and graphic.
I love him so much. I am grateful to have him, and that he is alive and well. For some reason during the past year and a half I have seen or been in contact with friend after person, after friend, etc who have babies with heart problems…or not breathing…or whose baby’s have died, or a hundred other things. It has been a daily and constant reminder to me that I have been beyond blessed, and that I need..and most definitely better have…a continually grateful heart if I want to be able to look my Savior in the eyes some day. I love my little uni-brow, brown-eyed, tiny, perfect Cameron. I am forever grateful for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment