Monday, May 18, 2015

Mason’s Birthday-and other stuff

Mason
We decided to have a little mini-vacation for Mason’s birthday this year. Because he loves hotels, our vacation included a hotel- in Draper. Grandma Day came up to be with us that night. We let Mason choose where we ate, and ended up at In N’ Out (much to the chagrin of mom and grandma- nothing against that place, but sometimes a woman wants a fancy meal Winking smile ).  We also had cupcakes and opened a couple of presents.
The next morning was breakfast and swimming.
_DSC0021
Then a little nap:
_DSC0033_DSC0034
After we checked out we met up with Nana and Grandpa Strong and aunt Nicole at The Museum of Natural Curiosity. I love that place! Here’s just a few things you can do there.
_DSC0066_DSC0071_DSC0088_DSC0097_DSC0107_DSC0132_DSC0146_DSC0147_DSC0164_DSC0169_DSC0182_DSC0189_DSC0196_DSC0200_DSC0215_DSC0218_DSC0222_DSC0230_DSC0234_DSC0242_DSC0243_DSC0251_DSC0257
Those pictures barely scratch the surface of what is available there.
Since we’d been there for like seven hours, and I thought my family definitely wanted to do more walking/sight-seeing (note sarcasm); I made the go to the tulip festival. SO. COOL!!! Afterwards we took the boys to the apartments where Rob and I met. On the way home, the sun was a bright pink as it sank into the sky. Next to the factories the boys said it looked very spooky. I thought it looked wicked awesome- and spooky. The pics don’t do it justice. Same with the tulip festival… Also, the tulip festival pics are unable to show my extreme frustration and not being able to get even one decent picture of the family…or my boys…or anybody!!! I had the most gorgeous park at my fingertips…and there were little girls in flowing dresses and happy mothers and fathers, and little boys who knew how to smile…and then there was us.
_DSC0284_DSC0298_DSC0302_DSC0314_DSC0331_DSC0345_DSC0369_DSC0372_DSC0382_DSC0392_DSC0399_DSC0404_DSC0418_DSC0420_DSC0423_DSC0430_DSC0443_DSC0448_DSC0466
Now. A few things about Mason: Fav Food- Mac n’ Cheese and chicken roll-ups. His hobbies include building hotels/apartments with his blocks; drawing; writing stories; and watching tv…and when I say tv, I mean anything with a talking animal and nothing even remotely scary on it. He is finishing up Kindergarten this week. He earned his Doctorate degree. Each quarter the students could earn a degree by passing off different skills. For this last one Mason had to read a level G (or H?) book; write three complete sentences; write a math story and solve it; and write his numbers 1-30 correctly. This last one may not seem like a big deal, but he really struggled getting his 2s and 5s and well, pretty much all of his numbers to face the correct direction. I’m so proud of him; he was always so, SO excited to earn his degree and to get greens and blues on his behavior chart. Physically he may be lazy (we are trying to work on that), but mentally he really does try hard. His classroom was Harvard this year. He says he’s going to go to Harvard (and my 4 yr old says he’s going to AFA); we’ve got a lot of late nights ahead of us Winking smile . At the K open house they had today the kids could write what they wanted to be when they grew up and get their picture taken (cute idea!). Just in case you can’t read Kindergarten, Mason’s says “hotel tycoon”. _DSC0002
Anyway to finish up; at his 6 yr well child he is in the 25th percentile for height and weight. Other than that, completely healthy! He seems to have outgrown the allergy/asthma problems he was having earlier in life. I am very grateful for that.
Health
The past three of four weeks we’ve had some kind of “appointment” every other day. First there were dentist appts. The boys passed with flying colors, but I had an old cavity that had broken (holy cow…that was the worst pain my mouth has ever felt); and Rob had a canker-type thing that had not gone away in months. So, I had to come back a few days later to get my deal fixed; and Rob was referred to an oral surgeon about his deal. The surgeon is 95% sure it is just some blocked ducts; but they are going to lop it off next week and send it to get a biopsy just to make sure.
Cameron had a follow-up with the Cardiologist at Primary’s. The hole is still there…as it will probably always be. They did an echo on it and it’s not leaking anywhere, so for now they will do nothing about it, and we won’t have to go back for another six months. If by the age of 3 he is still not having any problems, then we’ll go just once every two or three years seeing the cardio. They cannot say it will never cause him problems though, because of where it is located. It could still flow too much in to his left ventricle; or his atrium could start to leak, so…for now it’s just a wait and see. I’m glad he is doing so well and is so healthy.
We had two different well-child check-ups; Mason’s 6 yr (above) and Cam’s 9 month (I’ll write two things about below).
Morgan’s ears have been bothering him again. His tubes have fallen out or started to, and he keeps getting fluid behind them which causes him pain. Because of this his Ped told me to take him to his ENT to see about having the tubes replaced. Of course the one day his ears don’t bother him was the day of the appt. We were sent home with a “come back in six months”. Now, I realize I should be grateful, but just this week Morgan has started to complain about his ears hurting him again. I looked at them with our otoscope (yes, we bought one) tonight and sure enough; his ear is all red and even bloody looking. So, we have a dr appt tomorrow again. yipee!
Our final round of visits was to the ophthalmologist. Morgan brought home a note from preschool one day with a great big FAIL next to his right eye results. I had his ped check him while we were there for one of his ear appts, and he was only able to see about 20/100 out of his right eye.  Mason was supposed to go for a one year follow-up (for astigmatism) so we got them both checked out. Mason still has some far-sightedness and astigmatism, but not enough to worry about for now. Morgan tested at a 20/150, so we were sent home with a prescription for glasses. He has to wear them at all waking moments (unless in the water) for the next several weeks. We’ll go back in July, and if his vision hasn’t gotten any better, than they’ll have to patch the eye. Arg! I’m a pirate! I must say though, between his cute little cartoon-like voice, and those glasses, he’s never going to get in trouble from his mommy again Winking smile He keeps calling us twinners; and is very excited about having glasses.
_DSC0021
Cameron..and some random thoughts…
At nine months Cam weighs in at a decent 18.6 lbs; and is 27 inches long. This means he is in the 25th percentile for weight; 5th!!! percentile for height, and his head is in the 50th. Weird since he was born in like the 90th for weight; 50th for length, and 10th for head circ-haha! Cam LOVES to climb up on things. He loves to pull things out of their shelves and drawers. He loves to bite cords...and is my little hoover vacuum. I know this is normal for most babies, but my other two weren't as much like this, so it's been a learning adjustment. He is definitely the most interactive. He can communicate very clearly what he wants- or does not want. He'll look at me; look at the desired item and just go back and forth until I've given it to him. He'll also give me the squeal of death if he is displeased. He definitely has the most attitude; I am in so much trouble. Also, he loves to eat. LOVES. haha! And we love him.

Fun
We’ve been doing a lot of silly things lately. Cue the videos.
Ok. Never mind. You’ve all seen them on FB anyway. Well, most of them. My computer will not let me access my vids. Probably it’s way of telling me to shut-up and go away.  So I shall. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment