Fillmore—My first home. Almost two weeks ago I picked up some kind of terrible cold, so last Tuesday night I took Mason and myself down to Fillmore so my very awesome parents could watch him while I slept like a lazy bum. In Fillmore there are many wonderful opportunities for little grandsons that might be harder to do in bigger cities. Some of these include:
- Speeding in a wagon (with grandpa in it also) down a big hill on main street (don’t ask me how they didn’t crash and die…I have no idea)
- Feeding horses and llamas
- Riding a cow (and receiving a head-butt from a cow)
- Throwing pebbles into and swimming in a mountain stream
- Helping grandpa spray paint over the graffiti on the park playground equipment (voluntarily…not because anyone asked them to), and
- Riding a jazzy up and down the sidewalk.
We also got to go to Delta and out to eat; play in the garden and dirt; go to the library; do the Michael Jackson moon walk with Mason; and eat five different kinds of fresh vegetables from the garden in one meal…it was absolute heaven, and we had a BLAST!
Logan—My second home. I lived in Logan for almost nine years, so I consider it my home. On Saturday we decided to spend the day in Logan visiting some of our favorite haunts. These included 1) Willow Park and the zoo where Mason was bitten by a duck who had gotten free. He was ok, and he LOVED trying to get as close as the fence as possible to see all the animals. 2) The fairgrounds: there was a team roping contest in process. It was free and Mason had fun watching the steers run past after they were done. 3) First Dam. This was the most fun of all! We took bread and fed the ducks. Mason went charging into the dam at the ducks scattering them everywhere. It’s funny- he is absolutely terrified of the shower, and will only get close enough to sprinklers to get his hands wet…but give him a stream in the mountains or a cold mountain dam and he’ll charge in full steam ahead without a seconds thought. He doesn’t care how cold it is or how far up his body it goes. Kinda scary being his mom… 4) DI after his other clothes got soaking wet. I have to admit, I felt pretty white trash taking my kid into the store in nothing but his diaper. I felt even more white trash when five minutes later I look up from the clothes I was studying to see my kid streaking across the store completely naked. We bought the clothes Rob’s hands were touching at that very moment. 5) El Toro Viejo. I LOVE their green salsa and good Mexican food. Mason loved the stacks of sugar and salt on the side. It was a perfect day-temperature, fun, and company.
Roy/Ogden—My current home. Monday morning we went for a hike up to Ben Lomonds Peak. Ok, so we didn’t actually make it to the peak, but we made it pretty darn far. It’s more than an eight mile hike one way and a pregnant diabetic can only make it so far without having to…use the facilities. Normally I would just use the mountains, but there were people passing by every two minutes and I just can’t perform under that kind of pressure. The hike was beautiful! The temperature was perfect and from where we got you could see down into Liberty and Pineview on one side of the mountain, and then into Ogden on the other side. We took it easy during the heat of the day, taking naps and reading at the house. In the evening we went out to the Bird Preserve in Layton. It was slow going with Mason stopping every two steps to check out the cattails growing on the side of the walk-way. On our way back we stopped at iceberg for some of the best fries known to man. Between my three homes I couldn’t have asked for a better week!!!
I'm so so jealous!! Looks like you guys had tons of fun! I wish I lived in a place I could do all that. :( Maybe someday.... Anyway, see you tomorrow!!!!! I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lucky girl! All of those places sound great! I cracked up when I read that Mason was streaking through DI!! I love it! Oh, & I seriously considered getting a catheter when I was pregnant w/ Logan (even just for the night time) It's so annoying to have to "go" all the time!! Anyway, I love your pics, & I'm excited to see you guys next month. Decorating...?
ReplyDeleteYes Brit we are definitely decorating the spare room for Mason...it will be his big boy room, so we need your help! I can't wait to see you guys :)
ReplyDeleteCute post, Amanda Lee. I think of Logan as a second home, too, so good thing Johnny boy is from there so we have an excuse to go up there as often as we want! Are you going up for Homecoming at all? It's October 22-23, I think...oh, the fun we had at the Homecoming Parade back in the day...
ReplyDelete