Monday, May 8, 2017

London...My New Love Part 2 of 3

Monday, May 1
This was Tower of London day! It's down by the Thames. I think seeing the Tower was where it first really hit home how much history there is in London/England compared to America. I will always love America, but unless you walk carefully around the Anasazi ruins down in the four corners area, there is just not places here where you can walk in to a building that is almost a millennium old and still functioning! It is breathtaking! We got there right as it was opening, and so did not have to wait in line hardly at all. This was also included in my London Pass. My cousin noticed a sign when purchasing her ticket that said, "Crown Jewels Wait Time: 0 minutes". She rightly surmised that this must mean there would be a wait time at some point, so told us we should go there first. I wish, I wish, I WISH I could have taken pictures, but alas, sadly, I could not. There is no way to describe the beauty of the jewels, crowns, scepters, coronation orb, spoons and platters, everything! The gold and stones and designs and intricate carvings are amazing! By the time we got out of that particular area, there was already a line winding around the entire plaza to get in to see them. If you ever go, SEE THE JEWELS FIRST! 
We saw rooms with old weapons, swords, jousting sticks (they are so much bigger than what's generally show on TV; a person could not hold that themselves); and armor! I LOVE ARMOR! I love all stories/movies/ etc where swords and bows and arrows are used to fight. I love King Arthur and Robin Hood and all of those kinds of stories. Those are by far my favorites! So seeing real, live armor was a dream come true! I know that sounds weird, but it really was so exciting for me! Also, people were much, much smaller back then than they are now. haha!
We had lunch at a cafe. My eyes were bigger than my stomach....so many cakes and pastries...but anyway. We went on a tour with a Yoeman (sp?) Warden. In order to become a guard at the Tower of London (which is still considered a running and functioning palace) you must be retired from the Armed Forces of Commonwealth realms and must be former warrant officers with at least 22 years of service. They must also hold the Long Service and Good Conduct medal. Ours was hilarious! He told us of the queens and others who were beheaded there. There were only six people actually killed at the Tower of London. There were thousands of others killed on a hill close by, but not actually at the tower. The stories were sad. In some of the towers (like the bloody tower) and the tower that held devices used for torture, there was such a feeling of horror...and sadness, and darkness...my aunt and cousin and I agreed there must be many mysteries still lingering there, and stories not told. I'm not going to recount the few I did hear, here, because they are sad. 
All in all though, this is a must see place. The stories are told wonderfully, and it's just so old and interesting! Definitely go see it!













After this we went up to West Minister, but just missed the last entry time. From there we walked to Hyde Park and walked through it. It was relaxing and beautiful. Again, more swans than geese! And wood ducks, and beautiful grounds. We walked to a fountain dedicated to Princess Diana, and then on up to Kensington Park and Kensington Palace. This one is smaller than the other palaces. You can go inside, but we were too late for the day. We had been walking for hours. We walked from there back to our place through Kensington road. Hmm...at some point in the day we also went to Harrods (first ever department store) for a few minutes, but now I can't remember when...we covered so much ground!). But back to Kensington; this seemed like a pretty fancy-pants place. There were many expensive little shops; and everybody drove either a Mercedes or a Porche. We also encountered Astin Martins, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis. CAR PORN! I loved it! Back to another pub for a late dinner, and then home. So. Much. Walking!!! This day and Tuesday probably had the most walking.






End of Day 3. 

Tuesday, May 2
Tuesday was a most excellent day; well, it would have been the most excellent if my one cousin wouldn't have had to go :'(. We started off by heading to Leicester Square again to see about getting tickets to Les Miserables. They had them half off this time!!! (They didn't Sunday when we had checked). I have no idea how it came up, but we asked the man at the ticket booth where he was from. He replied "South and west". I asked him if he was from Wales, and he replied "No, Devon...shire"??? (I Think).??? He said it was tiny and that people never left their homes or the village. He then said, "In fact, it's where Tolkien got his inspiration for The Shire and Hobbits from; if you know his work". DO I?! I started jumping up and down and got very excited, and we started quoting from the book The Hobbit...and the movie...and laughing; "We don't want any adventures here!" HAHAHA!!! He said that's exactly the way it was where he grew up; and that it was only his grandparents' generation. hahaha! I liked that guy. Anyway. We got our tickets to LES MIS!!!
Next we headed to Covent Garden. This was the first of a few times we ended up there. I loved the general area of Leicester and Covent Garden. (Ps- there was the biggest M&M store and Nickolodean store...but I never did make it in to them- sad beans. Next time). I bought a few souvenirs at the markets they had set up in the streets and in the square. It really was a lot of fun. They had live music going on down by the tea shops. We ended up there a few times; I'll post a video on another day. I got a delicious ham and cheese wrap. Oh my gosh the food there is so delicious...when it comes in a pastry...


From there we walked to West Minister Abbey. On the way I just had to get pictures with the red telephone booths which are everywhere, and the red buses that zip around everywhere too. We passed beautiful war memorials, and the Queen's mounted guard. I feel in love!!! Young men in beautiful uniforms on the most gorgeous black horses with gold and black harnesses, etc. There were people all around and getting pictures taken, and not once did those young men move or bat an eye or say hello to wicked girls trying to distract them. Not once. 



West Minister Abbey did not disappoint. And I'm sorry, but it said no photography. I know people take pictures, but I figured I wouldn't want people taking pictures inside my church, and it is a working church, so...no pics of the inside. Again, there is just so much history there, it's overwhelming. It was constructed about the same time as the Tower of London..IN 1066 AD! It is a gothic style cathedral, so did not have the colors etc, as others, but still very beautiful. AND SO MUCH HISTORY! There are over 3,000 kings, queens, statemen, and famous people buried there. In each room and chamber there were stories to tell of the people buried (I had an audio tour to listen to while walking through; this is a must for WM). I got to see where Chaucer (of the Canterbury Tales variety) was buried; and Sir Isaac NEWTON! and Charles Darwin, and CHARLES DICKENS and Tennyson, and so many poets, and HANDEL!!!! Just so many people I have studied and admired and who have influenced me in some way are buried there in that cathedral...and their stones are just in the floor...you just walk right over some of them. The carvings and architecture are so intricate and beautiful. They just don't make them like they used to. ps- just across from West Minister is Big Ben and parliament, so I'm adding those pictures here also. 




After a few hours in WM, we went to SOHO. I was told this was the happening place in London...except, when we got there, nobody was really around. I found a cool comic book shop though that sold hundreds of my favorite superheroes!!! After walking for over an hour trying to find a fun place to eat, we ended up back in Leicester Square, and ate at a Mexican restaurant...that didn't make Mexican food...their sweet pork was BBQ pork. It was so bad! HAHAHAHA!!! But that's ok, because the part that came next was absolute magic, and redeemed the hours of walking. This single event was my very favorite part of probably about any trip I've ever done, anywhere. I SAW LES MIS IN LONDON!!!! Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking, "Haven't you seen Les Mis before?" Yes I have. "Why is London so special? Was it really any better?". YES IT WAS!!! By far the best performance-bar none! London is the city that made Les Mis the show famous. They have been doing it for more years than any other place, and they do it with perfection. The care that Jean val Jean has for Fantine was so evident and tender. It was beautiful and real. In the final battle scene where the rich, rebel college boys are singing, it shows the confrontation between Enjolras and Coumbefer...how the one would give anything for the cause, and the other questions its foolishness and shows his anger. NO other production has done that. Through all of the songs there was actual conversation full of changing emotions and stories happening. Now, the songs were written well enough that it happens naturally with the words; but this was the first time it wasn't just sung, but also shown!!! I understood every single word for the first time ever. So many things stood out that I had never noticed or heard before in my decades of listening to the music and loving it. GRR! I just can't explain. it. Words are failing me. I will watch it again next time I go. I could have watched it the remaining nights I was there. I have thought about it every day since I watched it. It was beauty and majesty. 
Apparently they don't do cast signings afterward like they do on Broadway...and I and the rest of my party all had to use the restrooms...and nobody could really tell us where to find the cast; so I missed meeting most of the cast, but I did meet the men who played Javert and Jean val Jean, and another cast member. They said they hoped they had done well. I confirmed that they had, and that I was from America and they don't do it quite right here. That got a huge laugh from all of them. The man who played val Jean was so kind and warm and welcoming! Jean val Jean is my absolute favorite fictional character ever; and no good-looking superhunk, superhero will ever take his place. 

End of Day 4

Wednesday, May 3
On this day I made my aunt and cousin go with me to Baker Street and the Sherlock Museum. hahaha!!! I thought it was awesome! And I bought myself a mug. Baker street is a very, very old street...and a little dirtier than many of the others I had been on so far. It was tons of fun though to be on the street that inspired some of my favorite stories, movies, and tv shows. 







 I wanted to do some more on location spotting, so we went to King's Cross Station. It was not where they filmed HP, but this was the station they based it on and is talked about in the books. We had some pastey's there...delicious food inside of a pastry...again; based off of Cornish mining lunches. 





After we were done with lunch there, we walked out and past Pancras station and this beautiful Renaissance hotel. 


Across the street and down a little ways was the London Library; where we found this awesome gum recycler- and the truly awesome printing press. 





From there we went to the British Museum...where they have the ROSETTA STONE! I had no idea that's where it lived. They also have several mummies and statues from ancient Egypt; parts of the Parthenon and Athens temples, etc from ancient Greece; busts from ancient Rome, and every other part of the world. It's like England when on a scavenger hunt and "borrowed" all of the world's most precious things...brought them back to the home empire or something. We could have been there for hours...if we hadn't have been so tired already. haha! 












We went back to Covent Garden for tea time and sat relaxing and eating scones, cake, hot chocolate etc while listening to live music. 

After the British Museum we made another attempt on Harrods; and it was worth it!!! They had a toy store that went across an entire store! Many toys were what you would find her in the US, but then there were some seriously excellent toys that I'm going to have somebody pick up for me for the kids around Christmas...somehow. Wow they had some cool toys! And the clothes; omg!!! Expensive, but beautiful. They had a giant bookstore we went in to also. Honestly, the bookstore looked a lot like an American bookstore; I think we all share the same authors. ;) It was a really cool place to explore- yay first department store!
Dinner that night was a sandwich, salad, and ice cream bar from the local grocery store. It was cheap, it was healthy, and it was good. End of Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment