Saturday was a BUSY DAY! So, so busy! We hit up a lot of the big attraction sites. First being…
America’s Museum of Natural History. We LOVED it! Four hours worth of loving it. My dad probably could have spent four days in there…we took a lot of funny pictures-and had a lot of fun (yes, there is an entire collage dedicated just to the dinosaurs. That’s Lyd’s fault ;).
Next came the not-so-fun part…meaning almost an hour of frustration. It’s not that we didn’t have plenty to do…it was a matter of “what should we do next and how should we get there?”. We went to Central Park and sat down to a too late lunch of smashed PBandJ and deliberated. The two activities we most wanted to do were The Met and the Water Taxi to the Statue of Liberty. Now, The Met is directly across from the Natural History Museum…directly across Central Park. The ferries are quite a bit further, but quick to get to via subway. Our problem was: how wide, exactly, is Central Park. hahahaha!!! We didn’t know if we could just walk across it to the Met, or if it would be faster to walk out and around to a subway, and if we did that would it just be faster to take a subway to the ferries? So that was the big question. I finally mandated a decision and just a few minutes walk through Central Park and a couple of questions and we were at the Met.
Here is a bit of Central Park. Recognize the arch anyone?! Super excited to see it!
We weren’t at the Met for too long…it was too big…too overwhelming- and really you need to go with somebody who knows and appreciates art and can walk you through the significance of what you are looking at. The Day sisters are not those people ;) I’ll go there again though with Rob or a certain old roomie of mine :) . Side note: I really, really loved the little statue of the boy dancing in the water fountain. It reminded me of my little boys…
Next was a walk up 5th Ave and fancy apartments with door guards like what you see on the movies. So much fun! Side note: that was something I really, REALLY loved about NYC. Every place you went was like going to a completely different city. Each part has it’s own feel and it’s own scenery, and it is just fun! Our reason for walking this way was to catch a subway…a subway down to the ports so we could go see the Statue of Liberty!
We were hurrying to catch the 5:30 water taxi. On our way we passed a little bit of Wall St and the financial district where all the magic happens…and TIFFANY’s!!!! Oh, and I took the picture of the man praying because I thought he may be the only person praying in NY and I wanted to capture that. Plus, it kinda reminded me of another picture of a man praying…
We didn’t make it to the 5:30 water taxi. We were there in plenty of time, we just got bad information on where to redeem our passes, and it took us a minute to walk to the correct pier. That’s ok. A few minutes later we had tickets to the 8pm twilight cruise. We had a couple hours to kill so we went over to a little mini-mall and seafood restaurant.
Hitting the “twilight” cruise was definitely the right move. It was beautiful! The sunset, the dusk, the lights from the city. We were a little obsessed. I thought Lady Liberty was gorgeous, and I was so excited to finally meet her! They are in the middle of rebuilding the seven towers right now (did you know the twin towers were the last two of seven? I didn’t…), Anyway. The one when completed will hold the new record for tallest skyscraper in the world. Who said you can’t find beauty in the city? I thought the glass and the water and the lights reflecting off of everything was spectacular. Plus there were some pretty cool bridges! (ok, watch out. You are about to be assaulted by an endless sea of pictures of the exact same things. I’m so sorry! I couldn’t help myself!!)
When we made it back to shore we immediately started the journey back to our hotel. Good thing too, because the air train was out so buses were having to shuttle people back and forth from the train station to the airport, and it. took. FOREVER! That’s ok. All part of the fun and adventure! Needless to say it was another very late night (or should I say very early morning?). Which may have been why Sunday was so hard to wake up to.
No comments:
Post a Comment